Sunday, June 8, 2008

Happy Father's Day



My dad and I don't get along very well, for three reasons: We both possess a horrible temper, we are both unreasonable when angry, and we are both tied for 'Most Stubborn Person In The History Of The Planet."

So it shouldn't surprise anyone that it took me approximately forever to find out that I really do love my Dad. Like a lot. But I really do. I'm constantly impressed by his strength, fairness, and love.

My dad is really tough. Even when he's sick or injured, he still manages to get things done. Also, I can honestly tell people, "My dad could beat up your dad." :P He is also a kitten-lover. He doesn't like cats so much as he likes kittens. We did have one cat, though, that he loved, named Big Daddy. Big Daddy was a special cat because he was a tame wild cat. What I mean is, he was a big, tough stray, but when he finally started living with us, he never scratched any of us once, and, unlike a lot of male cats, he was not mean to kittens. In fact, he'd wash them and sleep with them like a mother. Dad and Big Daddy were tight.

So Dad didn't take it too well when two of the neighbor's dogs killed Big Daddy. Dad kept the gun by the door for weeks for the scenario of the dogs coming back, which they only did once, and, unfortunately, Dad forgot where he'd put the bullets.

Big Daddy, unlike any of our other cats, got a padded wooden box to be buried in, and three pine trees planted over and next to him. That was Dad's doing.

That was a long story. It was meant to illustrate Dad's soft side.

One thing I really like about Dad is that he is a very good husband to Mom. I know it is not uncommon for couples to divorce, even multiple times, and I'm very proud that I can say my parents still love each other very much.

I complain about my dad a lot, but I really do appreciate him and all he does. He's a very hard worker and takes very good care of us (which can't be easy with four daughters).

<3 o.

p.s. : The picture is from postsecret.com

1 comment:

Voegtli said...

Not getting along with each other does not mean that you don't love each other.

I went through spells like this with my kids when they were younger. Specially with my daugther who has a bad temper also. And now that she is grown up, we get along very fine.

My son never wanted to listen to me (the old man, whilst he was young and "modern"). Today he has realised that I am more modern then him.

I guess it is a process of adjusting to each other as time goes by.

Both of my kids called me in the bush to wish Happy Father's Day.