Friday, June 20, 2008

Dear Mr. Nelson,

Remember when you were always so proud of us because we were your "First Class"? You always acted like we were so special to you, because we were the first band you got to teach all yourself, without any other band instructors before you. You got to teach us everything from scratch.

I really wish you hadn't decided to leave before we graduated.

I know a lot of students make fun of you for whatever reason, but that is the way it is with high school students. We are just stupid, Mr. Nelson, and we don't recognize good character where we see it. Most of us didn't know how totally awesome you could be. I guess I didn't know very much either. But I do know this: The fact that you went on a Disney Cruise for your honeymoon is pretty much the awesomest thing I have ever heard of. And the fact that you and your wife bought Harry Potter at midnight when it came out is pretty cool, too, for a teacher.

So I hope you don't think that I quit band because of anything to do with you. I probably was not the best student, but I really did like your class, and I really did miss it after I dropped it. I know I said that I was dropping it because it didn't fit in my schedule, but that wasn't entirely true, and I feel like I at least owe you a true explanation.

I dropped band because I have a huge self esteem issue and I couldn't stand sitting next to the dancers another game. I could not do it. I know that the dancers are not really of an enviable moral standing, but let's face it, they're pretty. And I hated having to march around or sit there in a shapeless uniform or t-shirt while there they were, being watched and admired and applauded and pretty. I know it's not really the band's fault that I felt that way. I'm sure I would have felt that way if I went to a game as a student, but as a student, I would not have chosen to go to a game, and as a band member, I cried before and after almost every single one.

I really am sorry that I dropped band. I'm also sorry that I never got around to giving you the blank CD so you could burn all the pieces I wanted recordings of (all the Broadway or movie pieces and any of the pep band pieces you had recorded).

I am going to miss you very much next year. If I'd had a brain, I would never have dropped Music Theory last year so that I could take Art. Art... was an unbelievable mistake. And now it's too late to take Music Theory with you. Mr. Nichols is going to teach it and it is going to be boring and uneducational. No offence to him, but he just always seems so unenthusiastic and... I don't know. I was just really looking forward to having you for a teacher for another year.

Is the real reason that you're moving to Florida really for a better job? Florida is 48th in the U.S. for education, you know. Or maybe you want to be closer to Disney World? I couldn't blame you for that.

Well, I guess I've said all I need to say. I hope you have fun in Florida, and that whatever job you get there is worth the move. :)

<3 o.

p.s. : I am probably going to Disney World for the first time ever this summer! Maybe I will see you there.

2 comments:

Anji said...

That's a lovely letter, I hope he reads it somehow. I used to think that everyone was prettier than me. Your inner beauty will shine when they are trying to patch up the cracks with lots of make up etc.

Voegtli said...

I just would like to use one thing Anji says: Your inner beauty.

You are full of it. With the risk of repeating myself: It is a huge pleasure to read your posts.

And here is the second "hint": Join www.mybloglog.com. It is also free of charge, there are many communities, you will discover nice blogs and other bloggers will discover you. If you go to my blog and look at the widget, you will see all the "guys" that are visiting me. Some leave comments, some don't. Some are part of my "Favorite Blogs", other's are not.

Another thing you can do, is make your own list of favorite blogs and put them on your blog. You let them know that you put them there and they in turn will do the same thing. And slowly people will come to you.