Monday, June 2, 2008

Not For Sale

"I am not for sale. You are not for sale. No one should be for sale."

The Not For Sale Campaign [www.notforsalecampaign.org] is a group of people, any and all people, fighting human trafficking and the global slave trade.

On the website, you can find ways of helping to fight the slave trade, information on how the human trafficking industry is flourishing, updates on what people are already doing, descriptions of the lives of those in bondage, and a store that sells jewelry and t-shirts made by the abolitionist groups and books written by no-longer-enslaved people.

I read some of the blog entries about people, especially children, who had been abducted, sold, or tricked into slavery, and it absolutely tore my heart to pieces. I have a very, very soft spot in my heart for mistreated and hurting children, so discovering so much suffering on such a level was a real heart-wrenching thing for me.

Something that really got me was that this isn't just happening in far-away places like Cambodia, Myanmar, and Thailand, but even in countries like New Zealand, Canada, and the U.S. In fact, Craigslist.com, which is popularly used to find garage sales, is in fact becoming a larger and larger part of the slave trade industry, yet they seem to be doing little to nothing about it.

So now my feelings for this have grown beyond sorrow and longing to help children and women in distant lands to a fear of this becoming a threat to me in my own home.

Please visit NotForSaleCampaign.org and learn more about this tragedy. If you can, do something. Spread the word, make a donation, go on a trip, read a book. Do anything you can, even if it's very small, because something has to be done. "If something has to be done, do something. Even if you don't know what to do, don't just do nothing." Nothing is beneficial enough to justify an industry of human suffering. I hope that this campaign can grow until it really does wipe out the global slave trade.

<3 o.

2 comments:

Voegtli said...

Hello. I will definitely go and visit that site. I am sensitive to this issue. I have been a lot involved in my career in projects about this.

ANd I have not forgotten my promise to you. So, please don't loose hope. I just have to ge rid of some dentist sessions, discussions with my income tax inspector.

See you soon.

Peter

Anji said...

You are helping to spread the word too! I've recently read about how girls are tricked into coming to Europe, they think that they will be studying but they are treated very badly and abused. Unfortunately their families take this very badly too and it is difficult for the girls to go home if they do escape.

As a mother of boys I'm very concerned that young men should be educated and taught that all women should be treated with respect.