Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Where Dreams Come True

Or not.

My parents have just informed me that there is a 90% chance that we will go to Disney World this summer. I have always, always wanted to go to Disney World!

So why am I not excited? I have a few theories.

One is that I'm going with my family. I know that sounds mean, but I feel less able to be hyper, energetic, and outgoing when I'm with my family. For example, let's imagine a scenario that we walk past a princess a couple hundred feet away.
With family: "Hey, you guys, look! There's a princess over there! Look! Should we go see her?"
With friends: *gasp* "Ohmigosh! There's a princess over there! Look! Look at the princess, let's go see her! Please! Let's go!" [while jumping up and down and hugging someone's arm]

Another theory is that, after my parents rejected the Disney World plan in junior high, I made other plans for my first trip to Disney World. Neither Han or I have been to Disney World before, so we both kind of wanted to go for the first time together. Even aside from that, I know he'll miss me and be disappointed. He's got this thing about the differences between our parents, that my parents care about me and my happiness and his parents don't care about his. (I used to think that was ridiculous. But then his mom wouldn't give him money to eat, just so she could buy herself a pack of cigarettes and I started to see a pattern.) But anyway, not only is that disappointing his expectation with that, but it's also going to make him even more upset that while I have parents who like to go places, do things, and actually spend time together, his parents like to take his truck, fish without him for about 14 hours a day, and expect the house to be spotless when they come home (when they are the ones who mess it up to begin with).

Even if I didn't get to go with Han for the first time, I'd also had this sort of secret dream of going to Disney World for the first time on my honeymoon. I'm not engaged or anything right now, but I just think that that would enhance the magic so much more. It was a silly dream to begin with, but it's just kind of sad for me to have to part with it.

It's stupid for me to be this disappointed that I'm going to Disney World. It really is. I'm just worried that this isn't going to live up to all the expectations I'd had for it.

<3 o.

1 comment:

Anji said...

It's because you're growing up! Can you remember the last time you really wanted to go somewhere with your parents?

If they insist in you going is there a way for Han to be included? They sound like very caring people, it might be worth sounding them out over it...