Saturday, August 9, 2008

If It's Not Broken, Don't Fix It

That's what somebody ought to tell them.

Tim Burton is making a new movie--an Alice in Wonderland movie. Now, I like Tim Burton, I think his movies are very good in many aspects, and he has made a few of my favorite movies, but I don't think he has any business messing with Alice.

Because, let's face it, Tim Burton's work is dark. And it's creepy. It is dark and creepy, and Alice in Wonderland is a children's book. Okay, sure, Lewis Carroll was on drugs while he wrote it--but the book isn't about drugs. One of my main concerns is that he will forget that and focus on the acid-tripping aspect.

Alice in Wonderland has already been made into some very good movies. The Disney cartoon is sweet, charming, and innocent. The atmosphere is light and fun, and it's a very good children's film. My favorite Alice film, the 1985 Alice in Wonderland, is just phenomenal. The songs and music are exquisite, and the cast that they got together for that is just miraculous. I don't think the odds of another cast like that being put together again is very good. Included in this cast were Red Buttons, Sammy Davis Jr., Martha Rave, Imogene Coca, Telly Savalas, Jayne Meadows, Ringo Starr, John Stamos, Steve Allen, and Jonathan Winters... to name a very small amount.

Both of these Alice videos are classic masterpieces, and there is absolutely no need for a new Alice take. Maybe I would be more open to it if Tim Burton didn't have such a record for dark, morbid films... and if the girl cast to be Alice wasn't 18 (Mia Wasikowska). The only hope I am holding onto is that I believe Disney is involved somewhat, and the scriptwriter is the same as the scriptwriter for The Lion King.

I just don't understand why we need a new Alice in Wonderland film. The already existing movies are all so wonderful and classic, nothing now will be able to do them justice. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which Tim Burton also directed, was good--however, it was still darker than the book, and I don't think it was as good as it could have been. For a Roald Dahl book, it was good--but I love Alice. I don't want anyone to hurt that story.

I could go further in-depth into the whole "Carroll was on drugs, Carroll was a pedophile" thing in corrolation to how Tim Burton will make the film, but here's it: I don't care that he was on drugs, it is still a good children's story, and it isn't actually about drugs, so whatever. I don't believe that he was a pedophile, he took children's portraits, and some of them were nude--always with the parents presence, and before it was considered immoral by society. I don't want Tim Burton to make this film, because I think Alice is a perfect children's story with already fantastic renditions in existence, and Tim Burton isn't exactly known for his charming children's work--and the fact that an 18-year-old is playing Alice isn't exactly reassuring me any.

Alice in Wonderland isn't broken, and Tim Burton doesn't need to try to fix it.

<3 o.

No comments: