Monday, July 28, 2008

Down the Rabbit-Hole: The Slump of the Century

I cannot focus these last few days. I mostly walk around the house deciding to do various things, and then I spend approximately 30 seconds on each activity before I become bored or confused. A few nights ago, I actually forgot how to walk up the stairs mid-step. I paused with my foot in air, and all I could think was, "Where is the next step? I don't remember where the step is." I have been getting frustrated much more easily than normal, partially because I can't focus on one thing at at time and I get overwhelmed so quickly.

The only thing that has been able to hold my attention is Alice in Wonderland. Most people know that I constantly find myself wrapped up in "enthusiasms." It's no secret that I frequently become obsessed with different things, but Alice in Wonderland is the one that I seem to return to over and over again... I don't believe I shall ever become bored with Alice.

Everything to do with Alice in Wonderland, I love. In addition to the original books by Lewis Carroll (which I am currently reading), I am also enchanted with the Looking Glass Wars (which I shall read again soon). I have yet to see all the Alice in Wonderland movies (there are so many!), but my favorite thus far is the live action one made in 1985--It stays so true to the books, and the music is just phenomenal!

This recent bout of Wonderlove (a word I just made up) was inspired mostly by eatting breakfast with Alice and Mad Hatter in Disneyworld. However, this not only re-opened my love for Alice and Wonderland, it also introduced to me two new concepts:

1. The Mad Hatter is the most fantastic person in the entire world.

2. Alice in Wonderland isn't just a fantastic fantasy... It is actually within the realm of reality.

After meeting Alice and the Mad Hatter, I couldn't drop it. YouTube aided me in finding various videos of the two characters, mostly in Disneyland, and for the first time, it is possible that one of my enthusiasms could actually pervade my life in reality. Alice and Mad Hatter exist in Disneyland--I could exist in Disneyland as Alice. That is not beyond possibility.

Every since I first saw the 1985 Alice in Wonderland, I have wanted desperately to be Alice. Having tea with an insane hat-maker and dancing with white knights in a dark wood seemed delightful pasttimes to me. And now they seem all the more delightful, just by the sheer possibility of their actual occurrence.

On this note, I would also absolutely adore an Alice costume, as well as a Mad Hatter's hat.

Now, did anyone else see that? I have been trying for so very long to come up with something to write about, and as soon as I got onto the subject of Wonderland, I had little to no problem with staying on topic.

There is more I have to say, on a slightly different, but not altogether unrelated topic, but I will save it for later. Possibly later tonight.

<3>
p.s. : Here are two of my favorite Alice and Mad Hatter videos.








No comments: