Monday, July 21, 2008

School Days

...are the unhappiest in the whole span of human existence.
-Henry Louis Mencken

School is only a few weeks away--much too soon for the comfort of my sanity.

I don't like school. I don't like it one bit. I don't like the people, I don't like the assignments, I don't like the timing, and I often don't like the teachers. I don't like the conventionalism, I don't like the lack of emotion, and I don't like the tests. I especially don't like all of the dislike that everyone has for everything that school involves.

I know what the beginning of school means. It means the end of summer! It means day after day spent in classes with teachers who don't care about me teaching me things that I don't care about! It also means spending too much of my time with people who see me as "That Smart Kid" or "That Weird Girl"! (Well excuse me for not having indiscriminant breeding at the top of my priority list!) It means the end of justice, humanity, and sleep as the world knows it!

Senior Year is the year that every high school student dreams of, and I can see why: The end of Senior Year marks the end of your life in a small town full of small minds. It is the end of four years of repetitive hallways. It is the beginning of true independence.

But Senior Year is still a year of high school. It will have all the same challenges and frustrations--as well as all the same joys and laughter. It will even have some new ones. (People who forget this are people who catch "Senioritis". It is commonly believed that all Seniors catch this, but it is my opinion that there are a select few, such as myself, that suffer so badly from "Academic Honors" that in order for them also have symptoms of "Senioritis" they probably have some kind of Multiple Personality Disorder... which in all honesty is probably a much bigger problem either educational disease.)

And really, what is so exciting about starting college? You lose all consistency and familiarity with your surroundings, and all of your friends are too far away to help. You have to make new friends (which I am not good at) and you have to actually be responsible... for everything.

Many Seniors (as a symptom of "Senioritis") decide that Senior Year and what happens during it are of the least importance, because it is the last year. The opposite is true. Senior Year and what happens during it are of the MOST importance because it is the last year.

<3>

2 comments:

Voegtli said...

How right Henry Louis Mencken is. You might have noticed on my blog that I have been complaining about school. I hated it, I loathed it. But after all, I made my way in life. Perhaps if I would cared more about school, I might be a veterinary doctor. But then.....

Anji said...

I hated school too - though I loved teaching. Teaching also reminded me of the things I hated, like the noise and the types people I'd rather not remember. My son hates school and he will be starting his last year too. he can't get up in the morning and never does any work. I'm just hoping that when the last year is finished he knows what he would like to do next..