Monday, May 19, 2008

To See The Summer Sky Is Poetry

School is nearly over.

This time of year is full of many emotions: stress, relief, impatience, joy, apathy, exhaustion, excitement. But this year, I have found a new one: Dread. I am dreading this summer. Before me lies an expanse of just under three months, and that is not very much time to get something done in, but it is too much time to lay to waste. So here is the very difficult question that I am faced with: What am I going to do?

I have a few answers, and whatever they are, they had better be nearby, because I'm telling you, gas is not cheap, and it is even less cheap when you are jobless. So,

I am going to get a job. I hope I am, at least. I really need money.

I am going to re-learn the Japanese alphabets. I am taking Japanese next year, and I have known some before, but I think it would be a good idea to get a head start. I want to get as much out of this one year of Japanese as I can.

I am going to draw. A lot. I am going to hone my art skills to the point that they were at before I started taking Art in school, and then I'm going to (hopefully) sell more commissioned portraits.


I am going to write. I have always wanted to be published, and I think now would be a good time to start on it. I have lots of good ideas that have been developing in my head all year.

I'm going to apply to college. Let's not talk about that.

I am going to run. Now, I hate heat, and I hate sweat. But, I love how I feel when I run. I love the exhaustion that follows and I even love how my legs ache afterwards. It reminds me that I have done something. Plus, it works miracles for my appearance.

I am going to turn 18. Of course, with new freedoms comes way too much responsibility. However, this is the summer of my 18th birthday, and that will only happen once. Afterwards, the taste of freedom will probably never taste as sweet, and because of this,

I am going to enjoy it. Yes. I am going to take all of these things that I love and that I need and I'm going to do them and I'm going to like it. At the end of the summer, I will not be greeted with the familiar feeling of, "There went three months of my life. It is over." I will be able to look back and feel satisfied.

But until then, let us return to reality, where the headache of finals awaits. I still have four days left of sleeplessness, studying, stressing, and tears. But! It is only four days. And when the four days are over, I will have done my best, and I will be able to take a three-month respite full of work, art, exercise, accomplishment, freedom, and satisfaction. If I can hold on to the thought of those three months, I'm sure I can last these four days.

Begone, Dread! There is nothing here for you!

<3 o.

p.s. : The title is a line by Emily Dickinson.

1 comment:

Voegtli said...

Well, you have quite some programme ahead of you. This is good and I know that you will not just spend 3 month for nothing. I am looking forward to read your stories on all this.

And I still owe you some hints on how to make your blog known. But I was extremely busy the last weeks, we had quite some problems here. But in 4 days I will be on a break for 2 weeks and will then come back on this.

Because your blog should get to be known. It is beautiful, your way of writing is touching, funny and has a lot of sense.

Take care.

Peter