Saturday, April 26, 2008

Uncle Sam Says: "I WANT YOU... To Stop Whining!"

Okay, I never really got the Uncle Sam posters that said "I Want You" at the bottom... something about joining the army or buying bonds or something. (I do know that the guy in the original posters came from my home town, though!) Anyway, the point is, I think my last little post about America being lame was a little whiny and not very clear. My complaint was more towards the people here than the government. I have very few problems with the government. I disagree with some laws and the lack of some laws, but overall, I think the country is being run pretty okay. And I do acknowledge (and appreciate) many of the special opportunities here.

I guess that's all I have to say. Nothing has really been on my mind a lot of late... It's Saturday night and will soon be Sunday, when the new PostSecrets are up.

Well, one thing is on my mind. On the AOL homepage, there is an article about a guy who has been married 23 years and has never cheated on his wife. He has lusted over many women and enjoys sexual humor and the like, but has never cheated on his wife. I would like to know... Why is that such an incredible thing? I mean, kudos to guys not having an affair, yes, but... I really wish that it weren't so remarkable. I wish it was kind of more... a given thing that a man doesn't cheat on his wife.

It makes me seriously rethink my thoughts of getting married. I know this is a silly thing, but it is very hard for me to trust someone enough to date them... I can only imagine how hard it will be for me to feel confident enough in a person to marry them... and then to have them have an affair, I think would crush me. I don't want to have to deal with that. I don't know what I would do.

I still have plenty of time to think about marriage, though. It's probably not something I should worry about too much right now.

And a little shout-out to any married men who have remained faithful to their wives, mentally and emotionally as well as physically: Thank you for defying convention and being a good husband. I'd like to hear about you, just for reassurance that you exist. :)

<3 o.

1 comment:

Anji said...

I think that too many people take marriage too lightly. I was almost 30 when I married. I was determined to wait for that special someone. we've been married for almost 23 years!